The Sauk Rapids Rice Education Foundation (SRREF) announced recipients for fall 2019 education grants on December 18. Staff, foundation members and sponsors visited district schools to distribute the grants.
The foundation awards classroom grants two times a year. These funds enhance learning by creating opportunities for students to excel and participate in innovative projects that go far beyond the district’s operating budget. The education foundation is committed to enhancing classroom experiences, uniting the community and schools, providing opportunities for students who need them and investing in the future of the district’s youngest children. The foundation has awarded over $78,000 in grants to the Sauk Rapids-Rice School District’s teachers, staff and students since its inception in 2012.
Nearly $8,000 in fall grants were selected from an amazing pool of requests. The fall 2019 awards address the needs and growth opportunities throughout the district’s five schools.
- Minecraft Math – This app is a way to engage students in a way they can relate to, improving math knowledge and assisting students so that they are better meet the Minnesota state math standards.
- Parent Education Enhancement Program – This program partners with parents, creating spaces for a better experience, improving community perceptions and increasing student attendance and retention rates.
- Vocabulary Instruction Read-Aloud Books – These high-quality children’s books will expand vocabulary development for kindergartens and help students meet the school-wide goal of increasing vocabulary through out-loud and repeat reading.
- Classroom Transformation Kits – These kits enhance learning by turning ordinary rooms into a Glow Party, Carnival, Construction Zone or Restaurant and can be used in combination with many lessons across grades K–2.
- Music Instruments – Supplementing the music room with xylophones, percussion and a steel pan drums facilitates creativity, musical skills and literacy, improvisation and multiculturalism.
- Strengths in the Compass Classroom – This grant provides strength training to tenth grade Compass students and supports the Compass Project Manager.
- Flexible Seating for Success – Flexible seating allows students to bounce, rock, lean or stand, increasing oxygen flow to the brain, blood flow and core strength. In turn, this burns more calories, increases metabolism and keeps young minds more alert and focused.
- ThinkFun and Lakeshore Learning – This program expands student learning and higher-level mathematical thinking skills by providing activities to challenge higher learners while promoting creative and critical thinking.
- Book Club Unit – Adding, updating and replacing seventh grade books will continue instilling the joy of reading in our students.
- Connections and Team Building – These hands-on team building activities engage students with “challenge by choice” activities as a way to reinforce classroom lessons.
- Fur Trade Living History Lyceums – This program allows sixth graders to experience Minnesota’s history of fur trading first-hand.
- Social Emotional Learning Program – These resources support classroom social emotional learning needs and can be checked out by families to use at home with their children.
Carl Newbanks, Sauk Rapids-Rice Education Foundation Board Chair says this: “Thanks to the generous donations from the community and the funds raised through the annual Stars of the Storm event, these grants will equip students and teachers across the district as they pursue innovative classroom projects. We are excited to provide funding that increases the skill, ability, aptitude and character of students so they are positioned for great success in the future.”
The Sauk Rapids-Rice Education Foundation’s Stars of the Storm annual fundraising event will take place on March 13, 2020. Through sponsorships, ticket sales and silent auction donations, this event supports foundation grants and also features incredible talent from throughout the school district. The entire community is invited to come and experience the talents of our students from kindergarten through senior high, as well as bid on items in a silent auction. More information about the event and how you may participate HERE.