Sauk Rapids-Rice School District staff, administration, and school board members believe education should provide for the maximum development of each student. Students often require differentiated and challenging educational programs and/or services beyond those provided in the general school program. Options for students, grades K-12, are provided within and outside the general classroom setting through activities that challenge, extend and enrich each student, while also supporting students social and emotional development.
- High Potential students may possess gifts or high potential in the areas of general intellectual, specific academic subjects, creativity, leadership, and visual and performing arts.
- High Potential students are diverse in their characteristics and backgrounds.
- High Potential students need to be challenged in academic and social settings while also being provided the opportunity to work with other gifted peers.
- High Potential students have social and emotional needs that are different than that of their grade level peers due to asynchronous development and need to be supported.
- Students in underserved populations require special consideration when being identifying for the SRR High Potential Program.
- Students in underserved populations require extra opportunities to develop their talents and foster overall achievement.
- Staff within the district who work with High Potential students should receive ongoing professional development in research-based gifted and talented education.
- SRR High Potential Services requires an ongoing financial commitment to ensure success and sustainability.
- SRR High Potential Services will develop the unique abilities and increase achievement in students so they can be successful leaders and problem solvers in their future academic and professional pursuits.
- SRR High Potential Services will build skills that will offset developmental deficits.
- SRR High Potential Services will provide equitable access to all students.
- SRR High Potential Services will provide education and support to families and the community in Gifted and Talented Education.
The Sauk Rapids Rice High Potential Program follows a Levels of Service Model.
Level 1: Services for ALL students in the regular classroom
The classroom teacher challenges students within the regular classroom and needs are met through individualized instruction using flexible grouping, differentiated instruction, challenging academic content and skill development, as well as extra classroom opportunities, such as field trips, guest speakers etc.
Level 2: Enrichment Opportunities for MANY students within or outside the regular classroom or school day
These services are often determined by teacher referral, personal or parent choice and include enrichment opportunities within and outside of the school day, such as Continental Math League, Robotics, Lead Learners, Student Council, YAYA Writing Conference, Math Masters, Spelling Bee, Art Club, Science Olympiad, Drama and more!
Level 3: Services for SOME students outside of the regular classroom
These services are designed to meet the need for extra challenge and enhanced learning. Students with these needs are eligible based on multiple criteria. These services include Cirrus pull-out classes in grades 3-5, advanced math at the middle school level, as well as advanced placement and/or honors classes at the High School.
The Cirrus Program meets with students during WIN time for 60-90 minutes per week. This High Potential Program is in all elementary schools and focuses on critical and creative thinking, emotional needs of gifted learners, higher level problem solving and STEM education.
Level 4: Forms of individualized instruction and services for a FEW students
These services are for those whose academic needs are significantly different from their peers and need individualized instruction through things like: early entrance to Kindergarten, single subject acceleration, grade level acceleration and individualized learning plans.
Resources and Links
- Early Entrance to Kindergarten
- Enrichment Opportunities at SRR
- International Baccalaureate Program at Rice Elementary
District High Potential Specialist