203.5 Policy: School Board Meeting Agenda
The purpose of this policy is to provide procedures for the preparation of the School Board meeting agenda to ensure that the School Board can accomplish its business as efficiently and expeditiously as possible
- GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
The policy of the School Board is that School Board meetings shall be conducted in a manner to allow the School Board to accomplish its business while allowing reasoned debate and discussion of each matter to be acted upon.
- While all School Board members may provide input, it shall be the responsibility of the School Board chair and superintendent to develop, prepare, and arrange the order of items for the tentative School Board meeting agenda for each School Board meeting.
- Persons wishing to place an item on the agenda must make a request to the School Board chair or superintendent in a timely manner. The person making the request is encouraged to state the person’s name, address, purpose of the item, action desired, and pertinent background information. The chair and superintendent shall determine whether to place the matter on the tentative agenda
- The tentative agenda and supporting documents shall be sent to or made available for the School Board members three days prior to the scheduled School Board meeting.
- Items may only be added to the agenda by a motion adopted at the meeting. If an added item is acted upon, the minutes of the School Board meeting shall include a description of the matter.
- At least one copy of any printed materials, including electronic communications, relating to the agenda items of the meeting prepared or distributed by or at the direction of the School Board or its employees and: (i) distributed at the meeting to all members of the governing body; (ii) distributed before the meeting to all members; or (iii) available in the meeting room to all members shall be available in the meeting room for inspection by the public while the School Board considers their subject matter. This does not apply to materials classified by law as other than public or to materials relating to the agenda items of a closed meeting.
Minnesota Statute § 13D.01, Subdivision 6 (Open Meeting Law)
Minnesota Statute § 123B.09, Subdivision 7 (School Board Powers)
Depart. of Admin. Advisory Op. No. 10-013 (April 29, 2010)
Depart. of Admin. Advisory Op. No. 08-015 (July 9, 2008)
Depart. of Admin. Advisory Op. No. 13-015 (December 23, 2013)
Policy 203 (Operations of the School Board - Governing Rules)
Policy 2032 (Order of the Regular School Board Meeting)
Policy 203.6 (Consent Agendas) Policy 204 (School Board Meeting Minutes)
Policy 207 (Public Hearings)
ISD 47 School Board Policy